Session Date :2nd Jan, 2019,
Resource Person : Sri Nitya SHanti
Session – The Art of Deep Listening
The session objective was :
- Pre-requisites for listening – the need for gratitude and compassion in our heart.
- Sharing simple ways on how one can enhance the measure of gratefulness in one’s life.
- Highlighting the significance of the triad of deep listening, deep silence and deep love.
- Reflecting on the principles of happiness.
- Sharing the steps to be followed for deep listening.
- Reflecting on the peer learnings and identifying takeaways by each individual to practice.
The following is a summary of various discussions that took place during the session:
- Gratitude and Compassion: The session started with the facilitator asking the participants to close their eyes and thinking of 3 things that they are thankful for today. Through personal examples and anecdotes he highlighted the importance of being grateful and counting our blessings. We can build openness and a foundation of trust through listening without judgment, without any perception, without wanting to give any advice or feedback. Few suggestions such as maintaining a Gratitude journal, spending sometime daily to connect with the family where each family member will speak for 2-3 minutes and the others will listen with compassion were shared.
- Principles of Happiness: This activity involved forming groups of three and reading out loud the 26 principles and pointers shared for happiness and wellbeing in the handout shared. Post reading loud, each individual had to mark 3 pointers that they felt appealed to them and which they would like to practice. The facilitator also explained us the reason to read loud. For any intent to move into practice, we need to Vocalize it, then Visualize it, then Emotionalize it, only then it gets Actualized. Throughout the session, the participants had many such instances of vocalizing such messages.
- Knowing the Brahmaviharas: Participants were introduced to the four Brahmaviharas which are the highest state of emotional intelligence and wellbeing :
- Metta/Maitri – wishing love and kindness for all.
- Karuna – wishing for all sentient beings to be free from suffering.
- Mudita – rejoicing in the happiness and virtues of all sentient beings. .
- Upeksha – learning to accept success and failure with detachment, treating every sentient being as equal.
The facilitator explained these 4 states, their significance and how being in these states helps build resilience in life. Focusing through three deep breaths the group also chanted the phrases to pray for every sentient wellbeing. Few key messages shared by the facilitator were –
- Focus on being a Joy Multiplier.
- Always have an Active Constructive Response
- Life is not happening to me, Life is happening for me. Fall in love with your fate (Amor fati – a latin phrase).
- The Art of Deep Listening: The same group was involved in reading the steps/levels of listening. The levels of listening involved: (1) Pretend listening; (2) Understand Spoken Words; (3) empathize; (4) understand the intentions; (5) Be with the person; get completely connected with the speaker.
- Apply the technique of PQR – Pause. Question. Reflect.
- MAI YUR MA – Good wishes for all: MAI YUR MA is a symbol of infinite, unconditional love and good wishes created by an energy healer in Australia. The facilitator helped participants do the MAI YUR MA symbol and share our good wishes to all – starting with family, friends to the Universe at large.
6. Shared Circle: In this part, participants were divided as per their child’s school. Example: Pre-primary, Primary, Secondary were different groups. Forming smaller groups of 5-6 participants, they were asked to introduce themselves and then discuss on key takeaways that they can apply with their child based on the learnings
Learnings of parents
- Be grateful for whatever happens in your life.
- What you perceive is what you get. (Yatha Drusthi, Tatha Srushti). Learn to ‘let be’ in all situations of life.
- Understanding how everything is ONE and yet we are fragmented individuals.
- Compassion for others – The Highest in Me Bows to the Highest in You!
- Striving to be boundary less – expanding your physical, emotional and spiritual horizon for unconditional love towards all sentient beings.
- For things to happen in life, vocalize, visualize, emotionalize and they will surely actualize.
- Listen to people without judgement, perceived bias, without wanting to give any advice or feedback. This way you are helping him to open up, suffer less and build a foundation of trust.
The session was attended by 94 participants in KHS Ketkar Road, 61 participants in Ecole Heritage School, Baner hall